Year Built: 1929
Architect: Allan & Wallace
Builder: Kiewit Construction
Style: Neo-Gothic Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 07/02/2008
In 1929, at the tail end of the “Roaring Twenties,” the wealthy Barker family commissioned local architects James Allan and Noel Wallace to design an office building with ground level retail in the western part of downtown. The nationally recognized contracting firm Kiewit Construction carried out the actual building of the investment property. Allan and Wallace exhibited great mastery in their manipulation of Neo-Gothic Revival details to emphasize the height of the seven-story building while also accentuating the façade. Neo-Gothic elements continued on the interior public spaces, including groin vaults in the richly ornamented main lobby. From its prominent corner lot along busy Farnam Street, the Barker Building continues to add visual interest to the streetscape. Plans developed in the early 2010s called for the rehabilitation of the structure into residential units with retail spaces remaining at the ground level.