Year Built: 1957
Architect: Leo A. Daly
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 07/17/2009
The Omaha architectural firm of Leo A. Daly employed a modern corporate aesthetic in their design for Northwestern Bell’s regional headquarters, constructed in 1957. The architect stripped the simple rectangular building of historically derived ornamentation and instead conveyed visual interest in the application of granite and brick veneers and the arrangement of aluminum framed windows. An addition placed on the twelve-story building in 1962 mimics the original structure in form and appearance so that the two are virtually indistinguishable. The austere design and efficient layout of Northwestern Bell’s Omaha headquarters fit with the company’s corporate philosophy, which emphasized quality service at an affordable price. As well, a modern building like Northwestern Bell’s headquarters, constructed in a prominent location downtown, visually announced the increased importance of service-based industries in Omaha’s post-World War II economy. In 2013, work was begun by NuStyle Development and Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture on the conversion of the office building into apartments.