Year Built: 1912-1914
Architect: John Latenser
Builder: F.B. Gould & Sons
Style: Neoclassical Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 08/10/2011
Around 1912, Omaha’s Scottish Rite fraternal group commissioned local architect John Latenser, Sr. to design a substantial building in downtown Omaha that would embody the organization’s civic and social mindedness. To accomplish this feat, Latenser used the Neoclassical Revival Style. The architect’s considerate application of simple, refined details and incorporation of ionic columns, an important symbol in Freemasonry, gave the structure a steadfast appearance that harkened back to classical times and aligned with the organization’s ideals. Since the building’s completion in 1914, the Scottish Rite’s members, many of them prominent local citizens, have made frequent use of the interior’s large gathering spaces, which include a banquet hall, a Masonic Lodge Room, and a theater. The Scottish Rite continues to use of the building today.