Year Built: 1924
Architect: James T. Allen
Style: Ramp Garage
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 5/12/2011
Designed in 1924 as an early incarnation of the ramp garage building form, the Capitol Garage housed one of Omaha’s first automobile rental companies, Rent-a-Ford. The garage was built as a sizable storage facility with a ramp extending through the building’s four levels. The overall design stays true to the utilitarian purpose of the structure with concrete used as the primary material in a building which is unadorned but well conceived. Shortly after construction, Capitol Garage became a franchise location for Hertz, one of the nation’s earliest and fastest growing car rental agencies. The building continued to function as an automobile rental site until 1992.