Year Built: 1923, 1934
Architect: F.A. Henninger
Builder: 1923 - Selden-Breck Construction, 1934 - Alex Beck
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/29/2011
While the Bankers Reserve Life Company constructed this building in 1923, it is better known for a close association with the Farm Credit Administration, a Depression-era New Deal program instigated by President Roosevelt. The 8th Land Bank District, a branch of a government-run agricultural lending agency that covered Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, and Wyoming, took tenancy of the building in the late 1920s. When Roosevelt established the Farm Credit Administration in 1933, the need to increase and consolidate staff from disparate agencies incited the Land Bank to sign a long-term lease for the building and construct an addition, completed in 1934. F.A. Henninger, the original architect, also designed the addition so that the two would appear as one structure. The Land Bank took over ownership of the property in 1944 and maintained offices there until a move to the suburbs in 2002. Offices and residential units now occupy much of the building with some retail located on the ground level.