Address: Rural Douglas County
Year Built: A.D. 1300-1400
Type: Archaeological Site
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 10/21/1975
Approximately A.D. 1300-1400 prehistoric hunters and farmers established this community overlooking the Elkhorn River floodplain. The villagers constructed a cluster of five to seven square, earth-covered lodges and possibly two burial mounds. The most interesting feature of the site was the presence of fragmented, charred human skeletal remains on the floor of one lodge. The structure probably was used as a crematorium or "charnel house."