Architect: Charles W. Rosenberry
Builder: James D. Kazakes
Style: Four-plex Apartment
Designated Omaha Local Landmark: 2015/09/29
The Atlas Apartments located at 1609 Binney were designed by local architect Charles W. Rosenberry in 1903. The building was constructed in 1919. The design is a four-plex flat of two story construction with symmetrical units on each floor. The structure features load bearing brick walls on the exterior wood joist framing on the interior. The windows are single hung. There is one main entrance on the north side which features the name of the building and the year it was constructed over the doorway. An alley to the west of the building leads around the back to the south to a balcony and stair that provides rear entrance to the four-plex units.
The interior is divided by two by two separate masonry interior walls. The entrance foyer contains a mosaic tile floor, a wood staircase and hardwood floors throughout. The apartments have oak trim wood between the living room and bathroom and original oak crown molding in the living rooms and dining rooms.
The Atlas Apartments have historic significance with the Garden City Movement and Apartments of 1905-1962 in Omaha community. It was built along the 16th corridor which had efficient transportation in the dense urban core. Its U-shape construction and rear entry common area stairs leading directly into the apartments are typical of the Garden City Movement and mentioned in other historical property documents. The Atlas Apartments were previously nominated for the National Historic Register along with historic property The Apartments at 2514 N 16th St., but no determination was made for the Atlas Apartments. It is the only standing four-plex in North Omaha which represents the Garden City Movement. Also, its architect Charles W. Rosenberry is known locally for his works including homes in the Happy Hollow and the Historic Country Club District. Still extant along 16th and Binney, The Atlas Apartments retains sufficient architectural integrity and remains a significant structure in the North Omaha.