Year Built: 1886
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 06/13/2013
The Meyer & Raapke building is located on the south side of Harney Street, centered between 14th and 15th Streets in downtown Omaha. Surrounded by Omaha’s downtown core, the building sits two blocks to the west of Omaha’s Old Market Historic District. The building itself is a Richardsonian Romanesque, four-story, rectangular, two-part commercial building with rusticated quoin arches spanning from the second floor window sills over the top of the fourth story windows. Each arch defines one of three bays to the building. Below, a mid-century storefront of black structural pigmented glass surrounds modern display windows.
The Meyer & Raapke building is locally significant in the area of commerce within the Multiple Property Document (MPD) “Warehouses in Omaha” for its association with the wholesale grocery firm of Meyer & Rappke from 1886 to 1909 and the printing and office goods retailing company of Corey & McKenzie from 1911 to 1921. Both firms are typical of the many jobbing interests in Omaha between 1875 and 1941, the period of significance of the MPD “Warehouses in Omaha”.
The building is also locally significant in 1886 in the area of architecture within the Multiple Property Document “Warehouses in Omaha” for its use of the Richardsonian Romanesque style and wooden joist construction, common stylistic and structural subtypes defined by the MPD.
Beyond the MPD, the building is significant for its association with the Levenson Chemical Company from 1937 to 1943. This includes all the years the company was located at 1407 Harney (the west bay) before Mathias Levenson passed away. The company is representative of many pest control companies operating before World War II. Typical of these companies, it manufactured not only insecticides, fungicides and rodenticides, but also toiletries (lotions and soaps).