Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

LL 068 Old Market and Wholesale LHD map

Address: Between Harney to Howard from 10th to 13th Streets and Between Howard to Jackson from 10th to 12th Streets

Year Built: 1880-1915

Architects: Various, including Fisher & Lawrie, Charles Cleves, and Isaac Hodgson & Son

Builder: Various, including R.B. Carter

Style: Commercial

Designated Omaha Landmark: 1/22/1985

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/23/1979  (As the Old Market Historic District - Boundaries Differ Slightly)

The Old Market Historic District is significant to the commercial development of Omaha as the wholesale jobbing area which mushroomed in the 1880’s and continued well into the 20th century, serving as the distribution center for a variety of goods shipped on the Union Pacific Railroad and its branch lines all the way to the west coast. The district is comprised of former light industrial and warehouse buildings and wholesale jobbing houses. Today the Old Market is a popular entertainment and residential district, housing restaurants, shops and loft apartments.

Local Landmark Designation Report

National Register Nomination