Address: 11523 156th Street, Bennington
Year Built: 1910
Style: Queen Anne
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 03/17/2010
Address: 3304 Burt Street
Year Built: 1925
Architect: M. J. Lahr
Builder: N. J. Skogman and Sons
Style: Tudor Revivall
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 04/23/2013
Address: 2214-2220 Florence Boulevard
Year Built: 1889
Architect: William Elliott Findley
Builder: Alexander Shields
Style: Queen Anne
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 09/22/2014
The Memmen Apartments building is a Queen Anne-style, two-story, multi-family, masonry apartment building on a raised brick basement foundation located on the west side of Florence Boulevard between Burdette Street and Willis Avenue, approximately one and a half miles north of downtown Omaha, Nebraska. The 11,760 sq. ft., rectangular-shaped brick building was constructed in 1889. The building was constructed as a row house-type of apartment building, and retains many of its original exterior features, such as its dogtooth and basket weave pattern brick detailing, four sets of stairs constructed of rusticated concrete blocks, and four porches with flat roofs supported by concrete Doric columns on fluted urns, supported by square, rusticated concrete block piers.
Designed by local Omaha architects William Elliott Findley and Alexander Shields and constructed in 1889, the apartments are a significant example of stylistically eclectic row houses constructed during Omaha’s late 19th Century urban expansion. The row houses are attributed to the Omaha architecture firm of William Elliott Findley and Alexander Shields and were constructed in 1889. The Memmen Apartments are an example of Free Classic Queen Anne style applied to four, three-unit row house apartments. In 1901 the four distinctive front porches were first indicated in that year’s Sanborn Fire Insurance map.
Year Built: 1886
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 06/13/2013
The Meyer & Raapke building is located on the south side of Harney Street, centered between 14th and 15th Streets in downtown Omaha. Surrounded by Omaha’s downtown core, the building sits two blocks to the west of Omaha’s Old Market Historic District. The building itself is a Richardsonian Romanesque, four-story, rectangular, two-part commercial building with rusticated quoin arches spanning from the second floor window sills over the top of the fourth story windows. Each arch defines one of three bays to the building. Below, a mid-century storefront of black structural pigmented glass surrounds modern display windows.
The Meyer & Raapke building is locally significant in the area of commerce within the Multiple Property Document (MPD) “Warehouses in Omaha” for its association with the wholesale grocery firm of Meyer & Rappke from 1886 to 1909 and the printing and office goods retailing company of Corey & McKenzie from 1911 to 1921. Both firms are typical of the many jobbing interests in Omaha between 1875 and 1941, the period of significance of the MPD “Warehouses in Omaha”.
The building is also locally significant in 1886 in the area of architecture within the Multiple Property Document “Warehouses in Omaha” for its use of the Richardsonian Romanesque style and wooden joist construction, common stylistic and structural subtypes defined by the MPD.
Beyond the MPD, the building is significant for its association with the Levenson Chemical Company from 1937 to 1943. This includes all the years the company was located at 1407 Harney (the west bay) before Mathias Levenson passed away. The company is representative of many pest control companies operating before World War II. Typical of these companies, it manufactured not only insecticides, fungicides and rodenticides, but also toiletries (lotions and soaps).
Architect: Charles W. Rosenberry
Builder: James D. Kazakes
Style: Four-plex Apartment
Designated Omaha Local Landmark: 2015/09/29
The Atlas Apartments located at 1609 Binney were designed by local architect Charles W. Rosenberry in 1903. The building was constructed in 1919. The design is a four-plex flat of two story construction with symmetrical units on each floor. The structure features load bearing brick walls on the exterior wood joist framing on the interior. The windows are single hung. There is one main entrance on the north side which features the name of the building and the year it was constructed over the doorway. An alley to the west of the building leads around the back to the south to a balcony and stair that provides rear entrance to the four-plex units.
The interior is divided by two by two separate masonry interior walls. The entrance foyer contains a mosaic tile floor, a wood staircase and hardwood floors throughout. The apartments have oak trim wood between the living room and bathroom and original oak crown molding in the living rooms and dining rooms.
The Atlas Apartments have historic significance with the Garden City Movement and Apartments of 1905-1962 in Omaha community. It was built along the 16th corridor which had efficient transportation in the dense urban core. Its U-shape construction and rear entry common area stairs leading directly into the apartments are typical of the Garden City Movement and mentioned in other historical property documents. The Atlas Apartments were previously nominated for the National Historic Register along with historic property The Apartments at 2514 N 16th St., but no determination was made for the Atlas Apartments. It is the only standing four-plex in North Omaha which represents the Garden City Movement. Also, its architect Charles W. Rosenberry is known locally for his works including homes in the Happy Hollow and the Historic Country Club District. Still extant along 16th and Binney, The Atlas Apartments retains sufficient architectural integrity and remains a significant structure in the North Omaha.