Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

Landmark Designation
One of the major responsibilities of the Commission is to recommend to the Omaha City Council buildings, districts, structures, objects or sites worthy of designation as City of Omaha Landmarks.

Historical or architectural significance, required for designation, is determined generally through the use of criteria established by the ordinance based on the Department of the Interior’s standards for evaluating nominations to the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, the Commission and staff have developed “A Comprehensive Program for Historic Preservation in Omaha” to further guide policy in this area.

Adopted in 1980 by the City Council, this plan includes an analysis of Omaha’s historic growth and development patterns; a statement of city-wide preservation goals and objectives; a description of criteria and standards for landmark designation; and an outline of strategies and priorities for future City preservation efforts. Copies of this publication can be obtained through the Planning Department.

Landmark Designation Procedure for Individual Properties
Several kinds of properties are eligible for landmark designation. Single buildings, or a group of related buildings on a single lot or parcel of land, compose one category; structures, sites, and objects are additional categories of properties that may qualify for listing.

Properties defined as “structures” may include bridges, roads, grain elevators or other functional constructions used for purposes other than creating a shelter. A site is the location of a significant event or building or structure where the area itself has significance regardless of the value of any existing structure. The Trans-Mississippi Exposition Site in an example of a City of Omaha Landmark in this category. Fountains and monuments are examples of “objects”; these properties are generally smaller in scale and often have artistic value.

Application for designation for buildings, structures sites or objects may be made by the property owner, the Commission or the City Council. An owner considering landmark listing should first arrange for a pre-application meeting with the Commission staff. Staff members will inspect the property, if necessary, and provide the applicant with an assessment of its potential for Landmark designation. Where specific rehabilitation activities are planned, the staff will discuss proposed modifications and provide advice on what might be considered appropriate renovation, should designation be granted.

A property owner wishing to proceed with the designation will be given an application for landmark designation. The owner will be requested to provide a legal description of the property, a description of the property’s present and original appearance, and any other pertinent historical information. The staff will then assess the application, and if the property meets criteria, proceed with the application process by compiling a case file and nomination form.

Upon completion of the case file, the proposal will be scheduled for public hearing before the Commission. Prior to the public hearing on the proposed designation, the Commission will inspect the property. At the hearing, the application will be reviewed and public testimony will be heard. The commission will then recommend on the case.

The Commission’s recommendation is subsequently transmitted to the City Planning Board for review of the proposal’s conformance with the City’s Master Plan. After a public hearing, the Planning Board votes on the proposal and if affirmed, this recommendation, as well as that of the Commission, are forwarded to the City Council for action.

The City Council then considers the designation and votes on the proposal following a public hearing. Adoption of the designation, which takes the form of a city ordinance, requires a majority vote by the Council (or five affirmative votes when the property owner does not concur with the designation). The designation becomes effective fifteen days after Council approval.

Landmark Designation Procedures for Districts
A landmark heritage district is a geographic area containing a number of properties united historically or aesthetically, constituting a district section of the city. The Old Market is one such area that has been given landmark heritage district status. The procedure for district designation varies somewhat from that of Landmark designation. Landmark Heritage Districts can only be formed upon application by at least fifty-one percent of the owners of property in the proposed district. However, to ensure a successful effort, applicants should gain written consent from a substantially higher percentage of property owners in the proposed district.

During the initial phase of district formation, commission and Staff members will meet with property owners to provide information about the implications of district designation. Commission staff will carry out all technical aspects of district creation, such as establishing district boundaries, documenting significance and preparing documents necessary for designation. Obtaining written consent from the property owners within the proposed district by means of a petition remains the responsibility of the property owners themselves. Once a petition form has been completed and filed with the Planning Department, an application for landmark heritage district designation must be completed. Although this application requires the same information as is supplied for an individual landmark designation, the amount and complexity of the data are likely to be much greater, and therefore a major research effort should be anticipated. Assistance from community members or neighborhood organizations can expedite this process.

Upon application for landmark heritage district designation, the Commission and City Planning Board will hold public hearings and forward their recommendations, following a procedure identical to that for individual landmark designation. Approval by a majority of the members of City Council is required for designation.
At the time that a district is approved for designation, design guidelines specifically created for the district may also be adopted. Developed by Commission staff together with property owners, such guidelines are intended to maintain the character-defining features of the area while meeting the practical needs of the property owners.

Page 1  :  Page 3  :  Page 4

 

OM21 copy 6

NR 175 10th Pierce Car Barn

Address: 1100 Pierce Street

Year Built:  1909

Architect:  R. H. Findley

Builder:  Frank Burness

Style:  Commercial

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 11/12/2015

The 10th & Pierce Car Barn was designed by R.H. Findley to accommodate new, larger streetcars introduced by the O&CB in November 1909. The construction of this building coincided with the closure of the Harney car barn at 20th and Harney Streets, which was not large enough to accommodate the new streetcars. The 10th & Pierce Car Barn was in use until 1955, when buses replaced streetcars for public transportation. A trucking company then purchased the building and occupied it for an unknown time period. At an unknown date the building was sold again and the new owner leased it to the United States Postal Service, which currently uses it as an annex for their nearby postal facility. The car barn is one of only two surviving streetcar barns in Omaha, and it is the only double-decker car barn ever built in the city.

Significant for its association with changes in local transportation technology and being the only double-decker car barn in Omaha, the design that allowed it to house streetcars at both its first and second levels. When this building was constructed, the Omaha and Council Bluffs (O&CB) Street Railway was in the middle of a large modernization program that included complete electrification and a shift to a pay-as-you-enter system that required larger streetcars. Additionally, the 10th and Pierce car barn was a departure in form from other car storage buildings constructed by the O&CB, utilizing a sloped site to accommodate two levels of cars.

The 10th and Pierce Streetcar Barn is situated south of downtown Omaha within an urban setting comprised of commercial and industrial buildings as well as multi-family residences, much as it was historically. The rectangular two-story building adjoins a public sidewalk at its east, south, and west and an alley at its north. The building’s site slopes upward from east to west, causing the first story to recede below grade at the west end.

The sloping site proved advantageous for the building’s historic use, as it allowed Omaha & Council Bluffs (O&CB) Street Railways’ streetcars to enter the first story from the east end and the second story from the west. The second story only comprises the eastern two-thirds of the building footprint. Atop the remaining one-third of the first story, there is a paved lot that was historically used by the streetcars to maneuver in and out of the storage bays at this end. Today this paved area functions as a parking lot.

National Register Nomination

Visit the Omaha Historic Properties GIS Map Story 

GIS Map Story Screen Shot 1

Address: 2523-2525 Farnam Street

Year Built: 1916

Architect:

Builder: 

Style: Renaissance/Commercial

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 11/14/2014

Constructed in 1917, the Hupmobile Building is associated with the early rise of automobile commerce and its effect on the built environment. It is emblematic of the many dealerships, repair shops and parts stores that located along Farnam Street, which became Omaha’s “automobile row” during the first half of the twentieth century.

National Register Nomination Document

Click HERE to Visit the NEW Omaha Historic Properties GIS Map Story

GIS map

DO09 0209 035 Hupmobile Building 25 05

 

LEO A DALY, a global architecture, engineering, interiors, and planning firm headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. The firm was founded in 1915 by Leo A Daly, Sr. and in 2009 employed over 1,100 professional staff across more than 20 offices in the United States and Internationally. LEO A DALY also owns the Texas-based engineering firm LAN (Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc) headquartered in Houston, Texas.

In 2010, the company was listed as the ninth-largest architecture/engineering firm in the United States according to Building Design and Construction's 34th Annual Giants 300 Report.

They have offices across the United States, as well as Beijing and Hong Kong, China; Moscow, Russia; Tripoli and Benghazi, Libya and Instanbul, Turkey.